Sunday, August 7, 2011

Jesus > Superman

"Daddy, tell me the truth...are you really Superman."

I wish you would help me settle a debate in my own mind...and here it is:

Am I a bad parent because I've convinced my boys that I am indeed Superman?

Or...

Am I a great parent because they believe (at least a little bit) that I might actually be "The Man of Steel"?

There is a huge back story to this that may or may not include me wearing blue tights and telling my boys that the reason for the tights is because, after I tuck them in at night, I go out and make the world a safe place to be in...I'm Superman!

Jacob was convinced immediately...Eli needed a little more circumstantial evidence.

After me carrying this story on for a couple of evenings consecutively, things reached a high point when Eli began crying as I lay him down in his bed.

Me: "What's wrong buddy."
Eli: "I just want to go fight crime with you tonight!"

As I began feeling the weight of this, it came down like this...These boys watch me very closely...they trust me, they believe not only my words but my actions.

Again, the weight...what if my words and my actions are not harmonious?

The Gospel is this, even though I'm not always Superman, (I mess up and confess to my boys when I do...they think perhaps I got too close to a little bit of kryptonite) Christ loves me, has justified me and is sanctifying me.

I don't have to be Superman to point my boys to Christ, if fact, the periodic stumbles just remind all of us that...

Jesus > Superman

Blessings!
ZS aka (at least to the SnowBoys) Superman

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Love it bro.......but, you should really let Eli go fight bad guys with you at some point.