Monday, July 22, 2013

Casa Juvenil Tercer Cielo

(My new friend, Levi. Levi is a #worldchanger.)

I was given the opportunity to go teach an English class tonight in Santo Domingo. 

Julio and Mercy go to the capital every Monday night to teach English to junior high and high school students. This is a ministry started by former New York Yankee, Dámaso Marte (a really cool ministry, here's more info http://www.scoreintl.org/ministry/casajuvenil/). I had the opportunity to talk (and I use that term loosely) to the high school group. 

Some thoughts from the hour I spent with them:
1.) I must learn to speak Spanish. 
2.) Dominican teens are not that different than their American counterparts. They enjoy facebooking, listening to music and hanging out with their friends. 
3.) I have to learn Spanish. 
4.) There are a lot of good people working to make the world a better place to live. 
5.) Something good and redeeming came out of the Yankee's organization (Dámaso Marte). 
6.) I really need a second language. I'm leaning toward Spanish. 
7.) Love, appreciation, kindness, humility, passion, these are universal and cross every known language barrier. 
8.) Does anyone own Rosetta Stone, Spanish? JK I'm rolling with my FREE Duolingo app. Btw, I'm going to learn to speak Spanish. 

I made a deal with the students. I told them I'd come back next year with more Spanish if they'd promise to have more English. 

¡Julio y Mercy, necesito su ayuda!
(See what I did there? Spanish. Thanks google.)

¡Salud!
ZS

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

So glad that you went with Julio to experience this! You are amazing!